Water district building explodes

By John Richmeier
Leavenworth Times – October 9, 2018

Seepage of natural gas resulted in an explosion at a small rural water district building in southeast Leavenworth County, a fire department official said.

Fairmount Township Fire Chief Chuck Magaha said the building was leveled by the explosion. No injuries were reported.

The explosion was reported at 6 p.m. Sunday at 142nd Street and Kansas 32 Highway.

Magaha said the building, which he estimated to be about 15 feet by 20 feet, served as a hub for Leavenworth County Rural District No. 7.

“Natural gas had seeped into the building,” Magaha said.

He said a natural gas line was not connected to the building, but a line runs in front of the building’s location. He said natural gas seeped into the building through an electrical conduit.

It is not yet known what caused the seepage.

No one was inside of the building at the time of the explosion.

A fire continued to burn after the explosion. Atmos Energy employees had to shut down that portion of the gas line.

In addition to the Fairmount Township Fire Department, firefighters from Bonner Springs and Sherman Township responded to the fire.

Magaha said Rural Water District No. 7 was able to reroute water lines after the explosion so customers could continue to receive water service.

 

Posted by Gwen Dorr Romine, KSFFA Webmaster
http://www.ksffa.com
KSFFA’s Fire News Blog Home Page
KSFFA Facebook

0 Responses to “Water district building explodes”



  1. Leave a Comment

Comments

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.





%d bloggers like this: