No injuries reported in fire

By John Richmeier
Leavenworth Times – September 20, 2018

No injuries were reported as a result of a house fire in Lansing, a fire department official said.

The fire was reported at 5:33 p.m. Tuesday at 205 E. Mary St.

No one was home at the time. The fire was reported by neighbors, according to Todd Farley, chief of Leavenworth County Fire District No. 1.

When firefighters arrived, light smoke could be seen coming from a southeast corner of the one-story house.

Farley said the fire started on the outside of the home and burned into an exterior wall. He said the fire did not extend farther into the house.

Firefighters had to cut away siding from the house in order to extinguish the fire.

Farley estimated that the fire caused $2,500 in damage.

A neighbor used a garden hose to spray water on the fire before firefighters arrived.

Farley said this may have helped limit the fire’s damage. But he said firefighters discourage this “because it’s very easy to get hurt doing that.”

Farley said it appears the fire was the result of smoking materials being discarded in mulch.

He said the careless disposal of cigarettes causes a lot of fires across the country.

Farley urges people to properly dispose of smoking materials and cautions against discarding cigarettes in mulch.

 

Posted by Gwen Dorr Romine, KSFFA Webmaster
http://www.ksffa.com
KSFFA’s Fire News Blog Home Page
KSFFA Facebook

0 Responses to “No injuries reported in fire”



  1. Leave a Comment

Comments

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.





%d bloggers like this: