Wichita man says trip to the gas station saved his life

By Porsha Riley
KAKE – August 13, 2018

KAKE Video

Johnnie Arthur never thought a trip to the gas station would save his life.

“I’m glad I wasn’t there,” he said. “I’m thankful; I’m real thankful.”

But he says that’s exactly what happened when a faulty battery charger he recently bought exploded in his garage after he took a break from working on his car to run and get some gas.

“I just went to the station to get gasoline for a four-wheeler that I was working on. Ya know, I just put it back together. It didn’t have any fluids in it, and I plugged in that charger so it’d have plenty of juice to start it with and it blew up,” Arthur explained. “It was plugged in maybe ten minutes and it blew up.”

The fire not only destroyed his garage but also his RV, swimming pool and damaged nearby power lines.

“They had a loss of power to the house; the lines were burnt through,” Wichita Fire Battalion Chief Doug Winter stated. “Damage was fairly severe to the garage.”

But rather than stress about what happened, Arthur says he’s counting his blessings and focusing on fixing the damage.

“We got a lot of work to do,” he said.

The fire happened Saturday afternoon around 5 p.m. near 32nd and Wellington. The fire department says despite the damage, they got the fire out within half an hour.

 

Posted by Gwen Dorr Romine, KSFFA Webmaster
http://www.ksffa.com
KSFFA’s Fire News Blog Home Page
KSFFA Facebook

0 Responses to “Wichita man says trip to the gas station saved his life”



  1. Leave a Comment

Comments

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.





%d bloggers like this: