Press Release: Structure Fire 503 Elm, Hays

At 12:27 PM, Wednesday, August 08, 2018, City of Hays emergency dispatchers were notified of a structure fire at 503 Elm Apt. A1. The Hays Fire Department, assisted by Ellis County Fire Department Company 5, Hays Police Department and Ellis County EMS, was immediately dispatched.

Arriving firefighters found a window air conditioner unit burning inside an apartment building. Firefighters had to force entry into the apartment. One hose line was used to control the fire. The fire was contained to the kitchen area of the apartment. After the fire was extinguished, firefighters used ventilation fans to remove the smoke from the adjacent apartments.

The most probable cause of the fire was a malfunction of the AC unit’s electrical outlet.

Six firetrucks and 19 firefighters responded. The last crew left the scene at 2:29 PM.

Thanks to the effort of alert neighbors that called 911 the damage was minimal. Your Hays firefighters would like to remind everyone of the benefits of having working smoke alarms in your home.

Ryan Hagans,
CPMFire Chief
Hays Fire Department

 

Posted by Gwen Dorr Romine, KSFFA Webmaster
http://www.ksffa.com
KSFFA’s Fire News Blog Home Page
KSFFA Facebook

0 Responses to “Press Release: Structure Fire 503 Elm, Hays”



  1. Leave a Comment

Comments

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.





%d bloggers like this: