Fire to two-story house on South Ninth burns porch, living room

By Eric Wiley
Salina Journal – June 18, 2018

Improperly discarded smoking materials was listed as the cause of a blaze that burned the front porch and living room of a house at 659 S. Ninth Friday afternoon and caused smoke damage to the rest of the structure, a fire investigator said.

Joe Kvacik, an investigator with the Salina Fire Department, said a passerby saw smoke about 12:50 p.m. and called 911.

Kvacik said the fire started on the front porch. By the time firefighters arrived, it had spread to the living room, at the front of the home.

The tenant, a woman who was renting the house, was not home. Her two dogs, which were inside, were not harmed.

The cause was accidental, Kvacik said, attributed to “improper discarding of smoking materials,” or cigarette butts.

Kvacik said firefighters extinguished the fire within an hour of arrival.

Firefighters had to cut open part of the roof and remove shingles in order to extinguish the blaze..

Fire damage was limited to the front porch and living room, but smoke damage was evident throughout the home, Kvacik said.

Kvacik said the heat was a factor in the firefighters’ work, noting they had to remain hydrated while carrying heavy equipment in the 100-degree temperatures.

The fire caused motorists to be blocked for at least two and a half hours from a portion of South Ninth Street, from north of Crawford Street to Prescott Avenue.

Kvacik said homeowners should be more cautious when putting out cigarettes, “by making sure they put them out all the way and have a proper container to discard them.”

“Everyone should also make sure they have working smoke alarms at all times,” he said.


Posted by Gwen Dorr Romine, KSFFA Webmaster
KSFFA’s Fire News Blog Home Page
KSFFA Facebook

0 Responses to “Fire to two-story house on South Ninth burns porch, living room”

  1. Leave a Comment


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: