Discarded cigarette causes west Wichita apartment fire

By Johnnie Harvey
KSN – April 16, 2018


Wichita Fire Marshal Stuart Bevis says the cause of a fire at an apartment complex in west Wichita Saturday was accidental. He says it started because of a carelessly discarded cigarette on a balcony.

The fire happened just before 3:30 p.m. in the 8400 block of West Central at the Aspen Park Apartments.

Bevis says there was only one building in the complex that was impacted and residents of all 16 units have been displaced.

When crews arrived on scene, flames and smoke were coming from the building. As firefighters worked, part of the roof collapsed in forcing them to evacuate and fight the fire from outside.

There were no injuries in the fire.

Bevis says the estimated loss is $1.4 million for the structure and $150,000 for contents.


Posted by Gwen Dorr Romine, KSFFA Webmaster
KSFFA’s Fire News Blog Home Page
KSFFA Facebook

0 Responses to “Discarded cigarette causes west Wichita apartment fire”

  1. Leave a Comment


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: