Chicken coop fire had possibly burned for hours before it was discovered

By Chuck Samples
KVOE – March 14, 2018

Photo by Chuck Samples

Residents at a rural Lyon County home about 15 miles northeast of Emporia came home to a disturbing sight Tuesday.

Fire was burning through a chicken coop at 2874 Road S, killing an untold number of chicks and rabbits in the process. Emporia Fire Battalion Chief Rich Gould says the fire had been burning for some time before anybody noticed it.

The fire was noticed around 3 pm. Emporia, Miller and Reading fire crews responded to the blaze along with Lyon County deputies. The fire was mainly out by the time crews arrived at the house.

Gould says a faulty heat lamp caused the blaze.

A live electric wire was noted as well, but Gould says that was not a factor in the fire. At least one hay bale was also damaged.

No injuries to humans were recorded. Lyon County records show the property is owned by Kevin DeDonder.


Posted by Gwen Dorr Romine, KSFFA Webmaster
KSFFA’s Fire News Blog Home Page

0 Responses to “Chicken coop fire had possibly burned for hours before it was discovered”

  1. Leave a Comment


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: