Fire at Munson’s Prime temporarily closes the restaurant

Junction City Daily Union – Feb. 9, 2018

Munson’s Prime is temporarily closed after an accidental fire in the kitchen Thursday evening, according to officials with the Junction City Fire Department.

Fire Chief Terry Johnson said firefighters responded to a call in the afternoon to find smoke hanging around the ceiling and a smell of burnt wood and synthetic materials. Firefighters discovered the source of the fire to be a wall in the kitchen near rear exit. Smoke and fire were coming out of a hole in the brick facade outside the restaurant, where insulation had caught fire. JCFD firefighters removed the burning insulation and extinguished the fire. The fire had spread up and down the wall, burning it.

The building was permeated by smoke, including above the ceiling tiles.

However, according to Johnson, the fire had been put out before it could spread to the ceiling.

The fire was caused by improperly discarded smoking materials.

“There was a little hole in the masonry wall that somebody was putting cigarette butts in,” he said.

Munson’s Prime is estimated to be closed for the next four days as repairs are done and the Kansas Department of Health and Environment inspects the building.


Posted by Gwen Dorr Romine, KSFFA Webmaster
KSFFA’s Fire News Blog Home Page

0 Responses to “Fire at Munson’s Prime temporarily closes the restaurant”

  1. Leave a Comment


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: