Home fire and propane explosion injure one

By Bryan Ramsdale
KAKE – July 24, 2017


A man is seriously injured after a house fire and propane tank explosion Saturday evening.

The fire broke out around 4:15 p.m. near East Silver Lake Road and Obee Road; that is northwest of Cheney Lake.

Fire investigators are working to see if the home caught fire first and then ignited the propane tank or if the propane tank for some reason did explode and catch the house on fire.

“There is nothing left there, it’s on the ground,” said Sgt. Rick Newton of the Reno County Sheriffs Office.

Newton says that the homeowner was taken to a Wichita hospital.

“My understanding was he was found in the yard, where he was at prior to that, I don’t know,” Sgt. Newton said.

Firefighters from across Reno and Sedgwick county responded. Excessive outdoor temperatures caused firefighters to use extra caution to not overheat.

The home was in a rural area and damage was contained to that property alone.

Newton says that there were pets around the home, but none were reported injured or killed during the fire and explosion.


Posted by Gwen Dorr Romine, KSFFA Webmaster
KSFFA’s Fire News Blog Home Page

0 Responses to “Home fire and propane explosion injure one”

  1. Leave a Comment


%d bloggers like this: