JCFD extinguishes fire at Second Street residence

Junction City Daily Union – June 30, 2017
Submitted by Newz Group – July 7, 2017

The Junction City Fire Department responded to a call Thursday at 10:59 a.m. concerning a structure fire at 407 W. Second St. Upon arrival, JCFD units found smoke coming from the attic area. A crew made its way upstairs in the residence. Firefighters utilized a thermal imaging camera and found a hot spot in the corner of an upstairs bedroom, according to Fire Chief Terry Johnson. They opened the ceiling and found heavy fire throughout the entire attic area. Firefighters worked to knock down the fire. The ceiling was angled in such a way as to make firefighters’ job difficult. With additional fire and heavy smoke coming from the building, firefighters used ventilation to vertically push smoke and heated gases out of the structure. The JCFD then conducted an extensive overhaul in the attic area to make sure the fire was fully extinguished. No one was home during the fire, according to JCFD officials. One firefighter was treated at Geary Community Hospital for a bite from a dog at the residence that the firefighter rescued during the blaze. He was later released to duty. Investigation by the JCFD and State of Kansas Fire Marshal Office showed the fire to be accidental. Damage to the residence is estimated to be $100,000.


Posted by Gwen Dorr Romine, KSFFA Webmaster
KSFFA’s Fire News Blog Home Page

0 Responses to “JCFD extinguishes fire at Second Street residence”

  1. Leave a Comment


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: