Baker University student helps man escape burning duplex

By Conrad Swanson
Lawrence Journal World – May 31, 2017

Photo by Elvyn Jones

Brandon Keller and his mother drove to Baldwin City’s Kwik Shop, 522 Ames St., Monday night to grab a drink and rent a movie. That’s when they smelled something burning.

Considering it was Memorial Day, Keller said he figured somebody was burning something, perhaps leaves. But as they left the shop and headed north on North Sixth Street, the pair quickly located the source of the smell.

“We saw flames coming from the back of this house,” he said. “So right when we saw it we turned into the hardware store’s parking lot, came up to the house, and my mom called 911.”

Around that same time another man who was apparently familiar with the home, told Keller, 20, that an older man lived inside the home and that he might still be inside.

In fact, the home was a duplex at 204 Crimson Ave., said Baldwin City Fire Chief Terry Baker. The fire broke out in one half of the building sometime before 8:20 p.m., he said.


Posted by Gwen Dorr Romine, KSFFA Webmaster
KSFFA’s Fire News Blog Home Page

0 Responses to “Baker University student helps man escape burning duplex”

  1. Leave a Comment


%d bloggers like this: