Wet electrical wires set alarm off at school

By Jason E. Silvers
Fort Scott Tribune – May 13, 2017
Submitted by Newz Group – May 24, 2017

Staff and students at the Christian Learning Center had an unusual interruption in the school day Thursday.

A fire alarm that sounded about 1:30 p.m. in the school, located at 3200 Liberty Bell Road, was reported to county dispatch, sending the Scott Township Fire Department to the school.

According to initial scanner reports, there were no visible flames or smoke upon arrival of emergency responders to the school.

Scott Township Fire Chief Tom Applegate said later Thursday the fire alarm was activated after exposed wiring on the floor got wet from water due to recent rainfall. Applegate said some remodeling is taking place in a portion of the school.

Electricians completing the work on the remodeling responded to the school to fix the issue, Applegate said.

“There was some wiring on the floor from remodeling,” he said. “Electricians doing the work came out and fixed everything. There was no fire…it was some water from a door or window.”

The school followed the standard protocol of evacuating the building during a fire alarm. Applegate said all students complied and there were no reported injuries during the incident.

“They evacuated the building until we gave the OK to go back in,” he said. “They were outside about 30-45 minutes. They followed protocol.”

The Christian Learning Center is a private religious school that serves pre-kindergarten through 12th grade students.


Posted by Gwen Dorr Romine, KSFFA Webmaster
KSFFA’s Fire News Blog Home Page

0 Responses to “Wet electrical wires set alarm off at school”

  1. Leave a Comment


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: