Iolan hurt in house fire

By Richard Luken
Iola Register – April 22, 2017
Submitted by Newz Group – May 9, 2017

Iolan Darrell Cole suffered injuries Friday in a fire that destroyed his house in the 300 block of South Chestnut Street.

The early morning fire took several hours to contain, as firefighters repeatedly doused the structure with water; only to have it reignite.

The fire was reported shortly after 6:30 a.m., when neighbors spotted smoke, then flames, coming from the house at 311 S. Chestnut.

Cole had emerged, covered in soot.

He was transported to Allen County Regional Hospital. The severity of his injuries was not yet known.

Meanwhile, firefighters attacked the blaze from both the front and back of the house.

The ladder truck was raised to supply a steady spray of water from above the long-gone roof, but the flames rekindled frequently.

The house was the subject of a November 28 condemnation hearing in front of the Iola City Council. Code Enforcement Officer Gregg Hutton, who lives across the street from Cole, cited several issues with the home, including a rotted, leaky roof, causing extensive damage to the interior; deteriorated stucco siding that left bare studs and exposed insulation; and two poorly constructed back porches made of used lumber that were unsafe to walk on.

Nevertheless, Cole was granted a six-month extension to do a number of repairs. The extension’s deadline was in late May.

Hutton told the Register little work had been done since the extension had been granted.

Two dogs Cole kept inside the home were rescued from the burning structure, neighbors said.

No cause has been announced.


Posted by Gwen Dorr Romine, KSFFA Webmaster
KSFFA’s Fire News Blog Home Page

0 Responses to “Iolan hurt in house fire”

  1. Leave a Comment


%d bloggers like this: