Local man loses home to fire started by unattended candle, space heater

By Mark Minton
Garden City Telegram – April 7, 2017

When Brian Hahn returned home with his family from a day out running errands, he wasn’t expecting to be greeted by a house in flames.

Hahn says his 1,800-square-foot home at 9835 E. U.S. Highway 83 north of Garden City was completely destroyed by a fire he discovered between 7 and 7:30 p.m. Sunday. He said the foundation of the home is still standing, but the entirety of the inside where he, his wife and three young children lived is “super black.”

Garden City Fire Chief Allen Shelton said that firefighters responded to the fire at 8:33 p.m. and found “heavy smoke and fire” coming from the front of the home.

Firefighters extinguished the fire, which the fire department reported was caused by an unattended candle in the living room, within two hours.

According to Hahn, an active space heater located near the candle also could have been the source of the fire.

Hahn said the loss of baby pictures of his three children, Ayvah, 8, Ayden, 4, and Adryen, 5, was one of the most regrettable for him and his wife, Vanessa.

“I’m just kind of overwhelmed right now with it,” Hahn said. “We’re going day by day.”

Hahn said the Red Cross has been assisting his family, along with other family members and friends, the Holcomb community and the local school district through small donations such as clothes for his children.

“A lot of people have been helping all around, everywhere actually,” he said.

Hahn is currently staying with his family at the Garden City Inn, 1202 W. Kansas Ave.

 

Posted by Gwen Dorr Romine, KSFFA Webmaster
http://www.ksffa.com
KSFFA’s Fire News Blog Home Page

0 Responses to “Local man loses home to fire started by unattended candle, space heater”



  1. Leave a Comment

Comments





%d bloggers like this: