Convenience store fire blamed on ice machine’s compressor motor unit

By Phil Anderson
Topeka Capital Journal – February 28, 2017

Three Topeka-area fire departments were called to a blaze early Tuesday at a business just north of the city, authorities said.

The fire was reported about 3:20 a.m. at a strip mall in the 4700 block of N.W. Hunters Ridge Circle.

Initial reports indicated smoke was showing at one of the businesses at the property.

There was heavy smoke throughout the building, though the blaze was contained to two rooms belonging to a convenience store, Soldier Township Fire Chief Karl McNorton said.

The fire started in an ice machine’s compressor motor unit, he said.

Soldier Township and Silver Lake fire departments were first to arrive at the scene. Additional manpower was summoned from the Topeka Fire Department.

Crews remained at the scene until past 5 a.m. No injuries were reported.

Damages are estimated in excess of $50,000, McNorton said.


Posted by Gwen Dorr Romine, KSFFA Webmaster
KSFFA’s Fire News Blog Home Page

0 Responses to “Convenience store fire blamed on ice machine’s compressor motor unit”

  1. Leave a Comment