Family Displaced, Dogs Die, In Atchison Fire

KAIR – January 16, 2017


An Atchison family is without a home, and the family’s two dogs dead, following a late Saturday morning residential fire.

“Shortly before 10:00, the Atchison Fire Department received a page to respond to the address of 424 North Second in Atchison for a report of a structure fire,” said Atchison Fire Chief Ted Graf. “Upon arrival, heavy fire and smoke were coming from the [south side of the] residence at that time. The fire had also extended to the neighboring residence at 420 North second.”

Graf stated that the fire at the second residence was extinguished quickly, with firefighters able to bring the original fire under control in about 30-minutes.

The home sustained heavy structural damage to a utility room and the kitchen, with smoke and heat damage extending throughout the two-story home, leaving the occupants displaced.

Two family members were home at the time of the fire; and although they escaped unhurt, the two family dogs were lost.

The cause of the fire, which appeared to have started in the utility room, appears to be accidental in nature but remains under investigation. The Kansas State Fire Marshal’s office is assisting.

The displaced occupants are staying with relatives following the loss of their home.


Posted by Gwen Dorr Romine, KSFFA Webmaster
KSFFA’s Fire News Blog Home Page

0 Responses to “Family Displaced, Dogs Die, In Atchison Fire”

  1. Leave a Comment