Nobody hurt in Hutch house fire

By Adam Stewart
Hutchinson News – September 29, 2016

Photo by Jesse Brothers. Click on photo to view full-size.

Photo by Jesse Brothers. Click on photo to view full-size.

Nobody was hurt and damage to the interior of the home was minimal in a house fire Wednesday night on Liberty Street in Hutchinson.

Homeowner Wayne Riggs said he was on his way home from working on his tree stands for deer hunting around 7:30 p.m. when he saw fire trucks headed that direction. He followed them, hoping the fire wasn’t at his home, but he wasn’t that lucky.

Fortunately, only the dogs were home, and they were in the back yard. Hutchinson Fire Department Battalion Chief Rex Albright said the fire was almost certainly electrical and appeared to have started on the outside of the house at 421 Liberty St., near where the house meets the garage.

The smoke mostly went into the attic, which firefighters ventilated out. Firefighters had to pull siding away from the exterior of the house to get to the fire.

While Riggs watched firefighters working, his wife, Debbie, arrived, apologizing profusely. She said she smelled something before she left earlier, but she checked appliances throughout the house.

“I went room by room,” she said.

When she couldn’t find anything wrong, she figured it was the lingering smell of burnt popcorn she had made.

Riggs said the couple would likely stay the night with his daughter, who lives nearby.

 

Posted by Gwen Dorr Romine, KSFFA Webmaster
http://www.ksffa.com
KSFFA’s Fire News Blog Home Page

0 Responses to “Nobody hurt in Hutch house fire”



  1. Leave a Comment

Comments

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.





%d bloggers like this: