Gas grill fire blamed for over $100K in damage to Kan. home

Salina Post – June 1, 2015

Photo by Junction City Fire Department.

Photo by Junction City Fire Department.

Fire caused extensive damage to a residence in the 1500 Block of South Spring Valley Road in Junction City on Sunday Night.

There were no injuries.

Junction City Fire Department officials believe the cause of the fire may have been a possible gas grill explosion.

Dennis Wetklow, Fire Department Battalion Chief, explained there was an explosion and the back of the house caught on fire.

“The residents had been grilling hamburgers. At the time of the explosion authorities learned the residents were in their house, and had finished eating dinner when there was a big boom. Everything came through the windows, obviously the fire was there, and they got out of the house,” said Wetklow.

Junction City Mayor Mick McCallister, who lives nearby, heard the explosion and alerted authorities about the fire.

“He heard the boom from his house and called it in,” said Wetklow.

There was major damage to the back of the house, kitchen, and attic area of the residence.

Wetklow estimated damage at $80,000 to $90,000 to the structure, and another $40,000 to $60,000 to the contents.

%d bloggers like this: