Firefighter suffers minor injury in OP house fire

KMBC – May 18, 2015

Photo by Jason Rhodes/OPFD.

Photo by Jason Rhodes/OPFD.

An Overland Park firefighter suffered a minor injury while working to put out a fire at a home early Sunday.

The firefighter suffered a cut on the arm from a saw, officials with the Overland Park Fire Department said. The firefighter was taken to a hospital for treatment and was expected to be released later in the day.

Firefighters said they were called to the 8800 block of Westbrooke Drive about 10 a.m., where a fire broke out in the basement of a home. No one was home at the time of the fire, which was contained to the basement but caused moderate smoke damage to the rest of the house.

Investigators said the fire started as a result of an electrical short in an area where a fan had been plugged into an extension cord. The fan was being used to dry water left in the basement from overnight storms.



%d bloggers like this: