Stores evacuated when gas meters struck by car

By Gary Demuth
Salina Journal – May 14, 2015

Photo by Tom Dorsey.

Photo by Tom Dorsey.

Stores at the Galaxy Center strip mall in south Salina were evacuated Thursday morning when a car struck a row of gas meters at the southwest corner of the Copy Co store, 2346 Planet.

At about 10 a.m. Thursday, the driver of a Dodge Stratus was parking behind Copy Co when his car struck a row of gas meters, causing a gas leak. The Salina Fire Department was notified, and firefighters evacuated employees and customers at Galaxy Center stores as a precaution.

Kansas Gas Service immediately was called to shut off the gas main and cap the leak, said battalion chief David Turner of the Salina Fire Department.

“They may have to dig into the ground a little to cap it off,” Turner said.

The gas leak was contained at about 11 a.m. and most stores were allowed to reopen. The driver of the car was not injured.

%d bloggers like this: