Chimney fire spreads, damaging home

Wyandotte Daily News – April 23, 2015

A fire in the fireplace apparently spread to the walls of a home, causing $45,000 damage, according to a spokesman for the Kansas City, Kan., Fire Department.

Firefighters responded to a fire at 12:44 a.m. Thursday, April 23, at 2752 Espenlaub Lane, Kansas City, Kan.

According to the spokesman, the occupants of the home had already left when firefighters arrived within 4 minutes of the report that smoke was seen coming from the roof.

A resident told firefighters that a fire was burning in the fireplace when they noticed the paint on the wall bubbling. Fire crews found fire in the walls behind the chimney, the spokesman said.

The fire was extinguished within 45 minutes. The fire investigator arrived to investigate the cause of the fire, and the fire is under investigation as accidental, according to the spokesman.

The estimated damage to the structure was $35,000 and the contents, $10,000, the spokesman said. The estimated pre-fire value of the structure was $125,000, and the contents, $15,000, according to the Fire Department.



%d bloggers like this: