Lawrence firefighters respond to house fire near Kennedy Elementary School

Lawrence Journal World – April 20, 2015

lawrence fire 4202015

Lawrence firefighters responded to a house fire in the 1500 block of Davis Road, near Kennedy Elementary School, on Saturday afternoon.

About 5:20 p.m., firefighters responded to reports of a two-story home that was engulfed in flames, according to Lawrence Fire Chief Mark Bradford. When firefighters arrived, two occupants of the home were safely outside, but their pet cat was trapped by flames in a second story window. Firefighters rescued the cat and returned it safely to the occupants, Bradford said.

The cause of the fire was accidental, Bradford said, likely originating from a barbecue area.

No one was injured in the blaze, Bradford said, but the fire caused more than $125,000 in damages to the home and a car that was parked in the driveway, Bradford said. The occupants had an alternate place to stay Saturday night, he added, and the American Red Cross of Douglas County also was offering them assistance.

%d bloggers like this: