Newton Fire battles two fires in as many days

By Chad Frey
Newton Kansan – April 9, 2015

newton fire 492015

The Newton Fire Department was able to use a new fire fighting technique twice in as many days, battling two house fires in Newton.
Fire EMS workers were able to use a new foam, which is loaded on a truck purchased this year.
“We started using that with the new truck,” said Randall McBee, fire marshal for the Newton Fire Department. “I think for us it worked really well.”
Fire/EMS responded to a 911 call of smoke coming from a house at 527 E. 11th Wednesday. At about 9:15 a.m. a passerby called 911.
Smoke was rolling out of the back of the house, and at one time there were visible flames inside the front door.
“It started in a bedroom, it was an electrical problem,” McBee said.
No one was home when the fire started. The house was constructed in 1900, a 1 1/2 story home with three bedrooms.
Damage to the home is estimated at about $30,000.
Tuesday Fire/EMS responded to a 911 call at No. 12 Country Club Estates. Country Club Estates is located in the 1000 block of South Kansas Avenue.
“That was a cooking fire,” McBee said.
Everyone escaped the home and no injuries were reported. The mobile home and contents are a total loss, with a damage estimate of about $15,000.



%d bloggers like this: