Fire kills 13 goats

Harvey County Independent – April 10, 2014
Submitted by Newz Group Clipping Service – May 6, 2014

harvey co fire 562014

A heat lamp in a livestock barn used to warm new born goats was the cause of a fire that claimed the life of 13 goats last Friday.

The Halstead Fire Department was called out to 12916 S.W. 125th St. near the Sedgwick county line for a barn on fire. When firefighters arrived, they found four outbuildings on fire. Three of the out buildings were destroyed in the fire.

The home on the property was saved but also received damage. Fire Chief Jim VanSchaick said the siding on the home was damaged from heat.

VanSchaick said no one was injured in the fire. Crews from Halstead, Bentley, Sedgwick, Burrton and Hesston responded and were there for about three to four hours.

Gwen Romine, KSFFA Webmaster



%d bloggers like this: