Gas grill blamed for house fire

Salina Journal – May 4, 2014

A Sunday afternoon fire caused extensive damage to a house at 1001 N. 11th.
Firefighters were called to the home at about 4 p.m., where they found heavy flames coming from the structure, which included a home, a separate garage and breezeway connecting the two.
Salina Fire Marshall Roger Williams said the fire apparently started with a gas barbeque grill and then spread to the structure.
Because of the extent of the fire, and the proximity of other homes, Williams said this was a three-alarm fire, with one remaining company left for other possible emergencies.
By around 5:30 p.m., the fire was largely out, but there still was heavy smoke drifting over the neighborhood.


The outside gas meter to a house at 1001 N. 11th melted as a result of a fire Sunday afternoon, allowing natural gas to feed and enhance the fire, according to a news release issued Monday by the Salina Fire Department.
Because of the extensive damage to the gas meter, representatives from Kansas Gas were called to block the gas line in the alley, according to the news release. An electric line also was downed by the fire, so Westar crews were called to secure that line.
The fire, reported shortly before 4 p.m., originated from the backyard barbecue grill and extended to the rear of the home. The home had a breezeway connecting the garage to the house, according to the news release. The fire spread from the grill to the rear of the home under an overhang and extended to numerous areas of the home, breezeway and garage, the news release indicated. A neighboring home sustained minor  heat and fire damage from the radiant heat of the fire.
Firefighters had a difficult time containing the fire because of the natural gas leak. After the gas was shut off, the fire was contained, according to the news release.
Residents got out of the house before fire crews arrived, and there were no injuries.

Gwen Romine, KSFFA Webmaster

%d bloggers like this: