2 treated after Tony’s Pizza fire

Salina Journal – April 28, 2014

Two men were “checked out” for smoke inhalation Sunday after an oven and its ventilation system caught fire at Tony’s Pizza Service, 3019 Scanlan.
One area of the plant filled with smoke, said Scott Abker, a battalion chief at the Saline Fire Department who was coordinating operations Sunday night at the plant.
“It was probably a grease-type fire,” he said.
Firefighters were called out at 7:13 p.m. and “got the fire out pretty quick,” Abker said.
The two Tony’s workers were the only ones in that area of the plant, he said. They were receiving oxygen in an ambulance shortly after 8 p.m. and were not seriously injured, according to five Tony’s maintenance workers who were taking a smoke break nearby. They wouldn’t give their names but suggested they had gotten some mild exposure to smoke from the fire.
By then, there was no visible smoke outside of the plant, only blowing dust shrouding the setting sun.
The area was under control by 8 p.m., but most of the firefighters and three of the four trucks and the ambulance still were on the scene.
One small area of the Tony’s plant was shut down, he said, and some repairs will be required.
“I think they will have to replace some duct work,” Abker said

Gwen Romine, KSFFA Webmaster

%d bloggers like this: