Hays fire crews respond to Saturday fire

Hays Post – April 14, 2014

An improperly discarded cigarette is believed to be the cause of a fire Saturday that spread to a building.

According to a news release, the Hays Fire Department responded to 2502 Virginia Drive at 8:06 p.m. Saturday. Firefighters found a small fire burning on the outside of the building, with some spread into the wall. Crews quickly extinguished the fire and opened the wall to ensure the fire was completely out.

The most probable cause of the fire was smoking material improperly discarded into dry grass and mulch. The Hays Fire Department reminded residents to be careful with smoking materials, barbecue grills and similar recreational outdoor burning in the dry conditions.

Gwen Romine, KSFFA Webmaster



%d bloggers like this: