Crews quickly suppress fire ignited by cigarette in apartment unit

Topeka Capital Journal – April 3, 2014

Smoking was pegged as what sparked a fire to a unit in an apartment building late Thursday afternoon in central Topeka that caused about $30,000 in damages.

Topeka firefighters were sent about 4:40 p.m. to the Belmark Apartments at 1205 S.W. Polk Street on a report of a structure fire.

Crews reported heavy smoke issuing from apartment No. 7A. Investigator Alan Stahl said firefighters made an aggressive attack, quickly dousing the flames to contain them to their unit of origin.

No injuries were reported as occupants were able to escape on their own.

Stahl said the fire’s origin was on or near an upholstered chair, accidentally caused by an improperly discarded cigarette.

Only the apartment No. 7A sustained damage, which totaled about $20,000 to the structure and $10,000 to contents.

The tenant wasn’t home when the fire ignited, Stahl said. The tenant was notified and returned to the scene.

Gwen Romine, KSFFA Webmaster



%d bloggers like this: