Fire Chief: Overloaded power strip causes house fire

KWCH – March 26, 2014

Fire crews from four stations responded to a fire in the 8500 block of East Eales Road just before 1:00 p.m. on Wednesday. That’s just southeast of Hutchinson.

Burrton Fire Chief Jon Roberts says the fire was caused by an overloaded power strip.

The homeowner called 911 before using a garden hose to keep the fire at bay until crews arrived. No one else was home when the fire broke out.

Crews on scene were able to put out the flames and check for hot spots. Roberts said damage to the home is estimated at $30,000.

Crews from Burrton, Hutchinson, Buhler, and Reno County responded to the fire.

Roberts said the family will stay with relatives until the damage can be repaired. One of the two family pet cats perished in the fire.

Gwen Romine, KSFFA Webmaster



%d bloggers like this: