Rural camper, garage catch fire Monday

By Foss Farrar
Arkansas City Traveler – March 25, 2014

Frefighter-paramedics Lucas Martin and Kyle Riedl spray the smoldering remnants of the blaze. Photo by Foss Farrar

Frefighter-paramedics Lucas Martin and Kyle Riedl spray the smoldering remnants of the blaze. Photo by Foss Farrar

A trash fire Monday afternoon on 272nd Road, east of Arkansas City, spread from a wire-mesh bin to nearby grass, and from there to a camper and an adjacent garage, destroying the camper and damaging the side of the garage.

The camper was unoccupied and no one was injured, fire officials and the property owner said.

Lynn Robinson, owner of 25 acres of land at 272nd Road and 91st Road — just north of U.S. 166 — said he was burning trash in a bin on his property when the wind picked up.

The fire jumped onto the grass and spread to an old 8-foot by 10-foot camper being stored on his property, he said.

The camper had belonged to a friend who asked him to store it there, he said.

“I had a garden hose squirting on the garage to try to keep it from spreading, but the wind whipped up real fast,” said Robinson, who immediately called the Arkansas City Fire-EMS Department.

An engine and pumper dispatched to the scene arrived at 3 p.m. and had the fire under control within 20 to 30 minutes, said ACFD Lt. Ken Corcran.

“The fire was controlled to the outside of the (garage) structure,” Corcran said.

He added, however, that the fire had breached through the soffit on the northwest corner of the garage.

Robinson lives in a house south of the garage, he said.

Gwen Romine, KSFFA Webmaster



%d bloggers like this: