Smoking May Be Behind Apartment Fire

By Chris Fisher
WIBW – March 24, 2014

topeka fire 3242014

Fire officials say smoking may be the cause of a fire that broke out at a Southwest Topeka Apartment Complex Monday morning.

Shawnee County Dispatch told 13 New that fire fighters responded around 1:20 a.m. to an apartment complex at 4843 SW 17th Street.

Battalion Chief Michael Troth told us that fire crews reported fire in a stairwell when they arrived.

Troth said they quickly got it under control and it was put out just after 2 a.m.

Troth also said residents in an upstairs apartment were able to escape through a second floor window.  No other injuries were reported.

Gwen Romine, KSFFA Webmaster

%d bloggers like this: