Fire caused by sparks from welder

Salina Journal – March 24, 2014

An early Sunday fire that extensively damaged a house at 511 N. 13th was caused by sparks from a welder, according to a news release from the Salina Fire Department.

According to the news release, the home’s occupant, who was not named, spend much of the day Saturday welding and grinding on a trailer parked in the garage. Sparks from the work came in contact with combustibles in the garage.

The occupant was awakened by a smoke detector about 3 a.m. and was able to get out of the house. There were no injuries, according to the release.

When firefighters arrived, heavy smoke could be seen from as far away as Ninth and Pine streets, according to the report. Firefighters reported seeing heavy smoke from the attic and attached garage of the single-story house.

The house had several additions, creating void spaces that were difficult to find and access and made it difficult to fight the fire, according to the news release. Firefighters finally had the blaze under control about 4:49 p.m.

According to the news release, the fire started in the garage and traveled up an interior wall to the attic of the house.

The house, which was valued at $65,000, was heavily damage and was not habitable. The North Central Kansas Chapter of the American Red Cross was assisting the occupant.

Gwen Romine, KSFFA Webmaster



%d bloggers like this: