Iola family escapes burning house

Iola Register – Feb. 25, 2014
Submitted by Newz Group Clipping Service – March 21, 2014

A quick reaction by Eva Ayala made the difference between life and death for her and her family early Monday morning.

Ayala and Nestali Vargas and four children were asleep at their home at 411 N. Fourth St. when it caught fire.

“She heard popping noises and smelled smoke, which woke her up,” Deputy Fire Chief Tim Thyer told the Register. “She immediately got everyone out of the house. Police officers also arrived just ahead of us (firefighters) and made sure everyone was out. They were lucky to get out without anyone getting hurt.”

The fire, in a rental owned by Jim and Teresa Gribble, was blamed on a wiring problem in the attic, Thyer added.

“When we arrived (at 1 a.m.) flames were coming from the house,” and eventually about a third of the back roof was consumed, he said. “There were a lot of hot spots” firefighters had to deal with, which kept them on scene much of early Monday morning.

Gwen Romine, KSFFA Webmaster

%d bloggers like this: